Get a Head Start on a Beautiful Smile
As a parent in Pasadena, CA, we know that you want the best for your child. That includes healthy teeth and a pleasing smile.
Dr. Chan and Dr. Babaan and our expert team will treat your children like our own by giving them the best possible orthodontic care.
Kids Should Have an Orthodontic Check-Up by 7
The American Association of Orthodontics, Dr. Chan and Dr. Babaan recommend that Pasadena children see an orthodontist for the first time around the age of seven.
By the age of seven, your child's teeth have developed enough for subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth to still be spotted while some baby teeth are still present.
This check-up may reveal to Dr. Chan and Dr. Babaan that your child's bite is fine, and that braces for kids aren't necessary.
Or, Dr. Chan and Dr. Babaan may identify a developing problem but recommend monitoring your child's growth and development, and then, if indicated, begin treatment at the appropriate time for your child.
In other cases, Dr. Chan and Dr. Babaan might find a problem that can benefit from early treatment. If this is the case, we’ll take the time to go over every aspect of what you can expect!
What Is Early Treatment?
Early treatment may prevent or intercept more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
Early treatment allows Dr. Chan and Dr. Babaan to:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child’s jaw, encouraging permanent teeth to grow in straight
- Regulate the width of the lower and upper arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions late in life
- Correct thumb sucking and help improve minor speech problems
In some cases, Dr. Chan and Dr. Babaan will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
Choosing the Best Time for Treatment
While the age that kids get braces may vary, orthodontic treatment in Pasadena often begins between the ages of 9 and 14. Some orthodontic problems are easier to correct if they’re treated early.
If Dr. Chan and Dr. Babaan determine that your child will need treatment, they’ll let you know the best time to get started.
Signs the Bite's Not Right
It's not always easy to tell when your child in Pasadena has an orthodontic problem or may need braces. Even teeth that look straight may be hiding a problem bite.
Here are some clues that may indicate the need for orthodontic attention:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Breathing through the mouth
- Crowded, misplaced or blocked-out teeth
- Jaws that are too far forward or back
- Biting the cheek or biting into the roof of the mouth
- Protruding teeth
- Upper and lower teeth that don't meet, or meet in an abnormal way
- An unbalanced facial appearance
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth
Learn More at Your Free Consultation
If you notice that your child has a dental issue, please contact us to set up a free consultation at our Pasadena office.
Dr. Chan and Dr. Babaan will be happy to discuss your child's orthodontic options and develop a treatment plan customized to their specific needs.